Live chat- online now

We are here to assist you. Chat with us now.

Chat Banner

Can We Help You?


contact us today

516-561-6645 718-350-2802 631-319-8262

free consultation

Married Women Can Obtain Orders of Protection Against Boyfriends

emotional-cheating-1Let’s assume you are married. But on the side you also have a boyfriend. During the course of your dalliance with your boyfriend he becomes abusive. What can you do?

In 2008 New York law changed regarding obtaining orders of protection. The law now allows individuals in “intimate” relationships with non-relatives to obtain orders of protection.

In January of 2009 the Madison County Family Court denied Jessica D’s request for an order of protection based on public policy. The court in this case acknowledged that Jessica and her boyfriend had an intimate relationship but for public policy reasons since she was married the court refused to give her an order of protection.

The Appellate Division for the Third Department (an appeals court) held that the purpose for the expansion of the law by the State Legislature was to protect citizens from domestic abuse situations. The court held that the legislature’s intent was to extend the court’s jurisdiction to grant orders of protection to relationships of a non-traditional nature, such as a married woman having meritorious relationship during the term of her marriage with a boyfriend.

Orders of protection can create all kinds of problems for both men and women. Should you experience these problems feel free to contact the Law Offices of Schlissel DeCorpo for assistance at 1-800-344-6431.

Valley Stream, Lynbrook, Baldwin, Malverne, Freeport, Oceanside, Long Beach, Elmont, Lakeview, West Hempstead, Hempstead, Merrick, Bellmore

  • banner-changes
  • image5
  • image6
  • image7